Friday, July 27, 2012

Comparing Silver Finishes ~ Rub n' Buff VS. Metallic Spray Paint +

Get your silver on!  If you love a pretty silver piece of furniture like I do, here is a comparison of a few different things I've tried.  First there's Silver Leaf Rub n' Buff.  About $4 a tube.  You'll probably need 1 to 2 tubes depending on what you are covering.  If it's something huge like an entire china cabinet... you'll need more, ya get me. See some tips and tricks on how to apply it here and here.  The Rub n' Buff has a luster to it.  It looks rich.  One of my favs.  I recently found out that if you live in a high humidity area like Florida, which I do, Rub n' Buff tends to oxidize and change it's color a bit, so it is good to use a water based sealer over top to keep it pretty!  The Rub n' Buff folks recommend a water based Varathane (you can get it at Lowe's, Home Depot, that sort of place).   




Then there's Silver Metallic spray paint, it's less luster, more, in your face kind of shine, even though it's tough to tell how much shinier it is in the picture below.  Still very pretty though, and faster, looks great on curvy furniture.  About $6 a can.





Then there is Silver Leaf sheets which is always Gor-geous darling.  About $9.00 for a pack of 25 sheets, and you'll probably need several packs depending on what you are covering.





And finally if you're feeling really ambitious, there is Aluminum Flashing.  See how to apply that here.  Runs about $12 -$35 a roll, depending on what size roll you get.




Alright, that's all I've got so far.  Hope it helps!

Smiles!
~ Renew Redo~






3 comments:

  1. You forgot to tell us which you liked best....!!! aaah :-p Also I am still amazed you didn't notice a difference in shine when you put a sealer. Maybe it's in my head? But I really do feel like it doesn't look as nice when rub n buff has a sealer over it....hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you posted to the Blog Hop on Vintage Wanna Bee. I have a small desk that I want to redo and just purchased metallic silver paint.
    I was excited to see the pictures on your blog! :-) I am your newest follower! Thanks,

    Tonya from www.ChirpingwithExcitement.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Leave me a comment! I'd love to hear from you. If you have a question and want a faster answer, just email me at renewredo@hotmail.com
Smiles!

Blog Top Sites