First up is the frame; this is the easy part. I used 2 sheets of plywood. One full sheet 4' x 8' and a second piece cut into strips for what I like to call the wings. (If you go to Lowe's or Home Depot, they will make the cuts for you, can't get easier than that!) So here's what I'm talking about.
These measurements are based on a Queen size bed. I wanted my headboard to be 60" wide. I used one full piece of plywood and two 6 inch by 8 foot pieces and two 4 inch by 8 foot pieces cut from the second piece of plywood. I used one full piece of plywood for the center which was 48" wide and used the two 6" strips one on each side of the full piece. The wings as I call them. This made the headboards total dimensions
5 'x 8'
Then I placed the 4" pieces over the seams. Like the picture below,
and screwed them in on both sides, going the whole length of the headboard (8'). I used about 20 screws on each wing of the headboard.
Then I flipped the whole thing over and had a nice flat 5' x 8' headboard base. The next step is to cover the entire headboard with 2" foam. The foam I used was in 2" x 22" x22' squares.
It looked like this when I was done.
Then I wrapped it with batting.
I had to cut 3, 8 foot lengths to cover the whole thing.
Ok, so that was the easy part. Then I made the fabric cover. I used two different velvet fabrics for this one. The fabric cover needs to have an extra 3 inches of fabric all the way around the headboard for attaching it to the back.
I laid the fabric cover over the headboard and got it centered but didn't attach it to the back. It was completely lose at this point.
I started the inside nailhead and the outside nailhead trim at the same time, using the outside edge of the plywood as my guide to keep things straight and a tape measure to keep my inside nailhead trim at 4 inches. I made sure I had an extra 2 inches of fabric on the outside of the headboard to wrap around and attach to the back with staples when all the nailhead trim was in place. So even though I had an extra 3 inches (mentioned above) to wrap around the headboard I only left 2 inches and sort of worked that extra inch to keep the fabric from pulling too tight around the boarder. Ok, see, right there...all of that.... HARD TO EXPLAIN, hope that makes sense. I used extra plywood pieces to brace underneath the headboard to make it easier to nail the trim in. THIS WAS NOT EASY! Just sayin.
Then came the buttons. I used the make to match buttons from Joann Fabrics.
I measured out where I wanted my buttons to go so that they were evenly spaced and marked the spots with a dot. Then I used a staple gun with the longest staples I could find and stapled 2 or three times over each of the dots. The short staples won't cut the mustard here! I used extra plywood pieces to brace underneath the headboard when I was putting in the staples. Very important for getting the staples in securely, and you have to push down hard! Then I used a hot glue gun to attach the buttons over top the staples.
Then lastly, I flipped the whole thing over and pulled my extra 2 inches around to the back of the headboard and stapled it down. Then I attached heavy duty picture hanging hardware, to the top back of the headboard and hung it on the wall.
Ok, hope that all made sense. This was a tough one!
Building this headboard may cause:
Yelling at your husband for no good reason!