Sunday, October 28, 2012

Before & After ~ Silver And Sapphire Blue

Before and Afters!  Gotta love em. Take a look at this old drop leaf table.  It had a lot of damage on the top, so I gave it a light sanding and then filled some of the deep gouges with wood filler, then sanded again in those areas.  I didn't make it perfectly smooth though.  I like a little bit of a distressed look underneath my nice new pretty finish. I don't know, I guess it makes me feel like my new finish was always there from the beginning and has been well used and loved... but no chippy paint! ~ HA





Here's what I used, Sapphire Rub n' Buff and Valspar Metallic Silver spray paint. 







And... here's how it turned out! 







I painted the whole table with the silver spray paint first and sealed it with Poly.  You can see how I did that here.  Then, I used a few dabs of the Rub n' Buff and a cloth, for a light glazed look on the base.
On the under side of the table top, I only used the silver spray paint.  I didn't seal that area at all, and rubbed it a lot with a cloth to give it more of an aged look.


Here you can see the base close up.  Kinda has a steely blue look to it.



I like adding just a band of color around the top of things or around the drawers like on the buffet I did. (Click here to see the buffet with Gold Rub n' Buff).  I think it creates  a whole new look for a piece of furniture over and above just a new paint color.





The strip around the top is the Sapphire blue Rub n' Buff applied much thicker.  I do have to say, I had a little bit of trouble with this particular color.  I had to use an artist's brush and basically tap it on (like you would a stencil) tap tap tap. Not that I actually do my stencils that way, but hopefully you know what I mean.




Isn't this vintage clock great!  Love stuff like that, and if you been following this blog for a while, then you probably already know I LOVE anything that's vintage brass.  Look at those little shoes, aren't they the cutest!








So what do you think? 

Smiles!
Sammy,
~Renew Redo~




4 comments:

  1. Good morning! I'm sick in bed today and catching up on my blog reading. Once again you're making the world a little more beautiful piece by piece! A couple of ??s please. Do you prep the wood for the R&B, other than cleaning? Under what circumstances do you hesitate when it comes to painting a vintage piece? Thanks and please keep doin' what your doin'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Val, sorry you're not feeling well! Hope you're feeling better soon. I don't usually "prep" before using the Rub n' Buff. You may have already seen the Rub n' Buff Q & A I posted by now. Hope that helps. I always hesitate painting a vintage piece when the piece is in really good shape and the finish is pretty and without damage. But, if the piece is pretty scratched up.... I'll paint away! : )

      Smiles!
      Sammy ~ Renew Redo

      Delete
  2. Well it is lovely, as per usual. I want to know more about the couch! I seriously helped you shop for that for a couple of hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! Well thanks! That's like if two people are looking at the same moon at the same time, they feel connected... So you and I must have been staring at the computer screen looking for the same thing at the same time... so I guess we have a bond now. LOL ~ ok, that's stupid, I know, ~HA, but thanks for helping me look! That couch.... soooo not reasonably priced!! It's the Whitaker, 102" long, cream leather sofa, from Ethan Allen. But she sure is pretty! There are two of those sitting in that room. Still finishing up some final details in the room, then pictures... lots of pictures! : )

      Smiles!
      Sammy ~ Renew Redo!

      Delete

Hey there! Leave me a comment! I'd love to hear from you. If you have a question and want a faster answer, just email me at renewredo@hotmail.com
Smiles!

Blog Top Sites