Saturday, February 23, 2013

DIY Headboards!

All about headboards today. I was asked about ideas for headboards recently, so I thought I would compile a list of budget friendly DIY'd headboards for those of you who are up for doing it yourself, and a few reasonably priced headboards I've found online if you're not...

First up, a massive 8 foot tall velvet headboard.  I made this headboard about a year ago.  My how time flys!  The great thing about building your own headboard is you can customize every last detail and still end up with a pretty inexpensive headboard.  Building headboards is one of my favorite things to do.  Don't ask me why.  They are fairly quick projects to tackle and who doesn't love instant gratification. Right?  Do you feel me on this one?




Here is another upholstered headboard (above).  This headboard cost about $77.00, even the fabric is DIY'd.  Worth a look.


Then there's this beauty!

By Janell Beals, Isabella & Max Rooms via HGTV.com   Click here to view "How To"


~~~

Not looking for an upholstered headboard?
#2~ Looking for a unique/creative headboard solution? Think outside the box when picking your materials.  For example, Aluminum Flashing.  It's meant for roofing but makes a nifty look for a creative headboard.  Click here for the "How To" make an Aluminum Flashing headboard.  






Another example is a laminated blown up image mounted on a hollow core door.  I've been asked several time what IS a hollow core door.  It's just a plain door, like a door you'd have going into your bedroom.  You need the plane-jane no frills model.  Make sure to get the one with NO pre-cut holes for the door handle. They sell them at Lowe's and Home Depot for around $30.  Click here to see "How To" for an image headboard.  This is also a really easy and inexpensive headboard to make.  Click here for help on creating your own digital image.



Of course the options are as endless as your imagination.  Here are a few more great ideas.  Large mirrors look amazing if you can find one big enough.  



Old shutters, we've seen this time and time again.
Another option here, if you like the look but haven't come across old shutters in your travels... You can use bifold doors, like you would use for a closet, for a similar look. You can pick them up at the home improvement store.  Give them a paint job and you're good to go.



Framed black and white images look modern, and seriously, this is as easy to do as it comes!





Moving on to working with an existing headboard.  Here is a simple way to update a headboard you already have.  Of course you can always pick up a used headboard from your local thrift store or craigslist and alter it as well.



Add upholstery to a wooden frame.  This is probably the easiest way to update an old headboard, besides paint!






Don't want to make your own headboard?  Check out overstock.com they often have nice looking headboards that don't break the bank.  Just be sure to read the reviews.  Sometimes the fabric color may appear different in person than it does in the overstock image.  The reviews help to know what to expect when it comes to color, and quality.



So there you have it, are you tired of headboards yet?

Smiles!
Sammy,
~Renew Redo~

5 comments:

  1. I have been shopping headboards for over a year now.. just haven't pulled the trigger yet because I'm not certain of the colors for the bedroom.. but I may have to consider doing my own headboard.. i think i can, i think i can..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your headboard. I might be doing a new headboard for my daughters room. I want a really tall one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these headboards! I work with Cassity over at Remodelaholic and we are hosting Headboard Week and a big headboard link party that we'd love to have you come join! You can join the party here -- we're picking our favorites to feature on Saturday: http://www.remodelaholic.com/2014/06/headboard-week/

    Thanks! Have a great day!

    Lorene @Remodelaholic

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am happy to find this post very useful for me, as it contains lot of information. I always prefer to read the quality content and this thing I found in you post. Thanks for sharing.
    Headboards

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Leave me a comment! I'd love to hear from you. If you have a question and want a faster answer, just email me at renewredo@hotmail.com
Smiles!

Blog Top Sites